Press Kit: Federalism
•The first Panglong agreement was negotiated in 1947 and promised ethnic minorities federalism with autonomy and right to secession but these promises were never implemented.
• The Civil War in Burma began in 1948 and has lasted over 66 years.
• After the military coup in 1962, military ruler Ne Win strongly opposed power sharing with ethnic groups and supported a unitary state.
• Although still federal in name at the time, Burma institutionalised the country’s unitary state in the 1974 constitution.
• Section 337 of the 2008 constitution states “All the armed forces in the union shall be under the command of the Defence Services” implying a central military command over ethnic armed forces.
• The UNFC (United Nationalities Federal Council) was founded on February 16, 2011.