Press kit: SIM CARDS
• Just 12.3 percent of the population now has access to a basic mobile phone.
• Qatar based Ooredoo, launched services on August 2nd.
• Norwegian based Telenor became the third mobile operator in Myanmar after launching services in Mandalay on September 27.
• MPT has partnered with Japanese firms Sumitomo Corp., a trading house, and KDDI, Japan’s second-largest wireless carrier, which has pledged to invest about $2 billion to expand its existing network.
• All three telecoms companies have priced their SIM cards at 1,500 kyat (about 1$).
• Telenor plans to reach 90 percent of the country within five years.
• The Government announced they plan to sell 30 million GSM mobile SIM cards between 2011 and 2016 in order to put Burma on par with the rest of the world.